Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Here's the ultimate fat tire bicycle. I wonder how much the rear tire weighs. I bet that when you get going on this bike you don't want to stop and accelerate up to speed again. I don't have any information about this bike, I found it (surprisingly) on the website 1947 to Current Chevy & GMC Trucks. Under "Alternate Tinkerings" there is a thread for "Hot Rod Bicycles."
Friday, February 23, 2018
Thursday, February 22, 2018
|This looks like fun!|
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
|The Bike Boat on dry land|
I'm guessing this idea didn't make it past the prototype stage. In the "News" section of their website, they have a 2015 entry that says they are getting ready to start a Kickstarter campaign, and nothing after that. I don't know if they never did the Kickstarter campaign, or if they failed to raise enough money to launch the product.
Here's a short video of the Bike Boat in action. One thing I notice is that the top of the hull is not much above the waterline. There are some other videos on the website, but they all show the Bike Boat in still water. I don't think you would want to take it out on a fast flowing river.
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
|Crossing the Mississippi River by Ferry|
The ride begins and ends in Sikeston, Missouri. Highlights include:
- Shawnee National Forest
- Thebes courthouse - This 170 year old courthouse alledgedly held the slave Dred Scott for a short time
- Hunter-Dawson Home State Historic Site
- Ferry ride across the Mississippi River
- Discovery Park of America - You can see what it was like to experience the New Madrid earthquake in their earthquake simulator
Friday, February 16, 2018
|Better speed up - Emus can run 30 MPH (photo courtesy of Bicycle SA)|
Thursday, February 15, 2018
|Please don't go any higher|
- Sagan and Cancellara avoiding a crash. Watch how Cancellara throws his back wheel to the side.
- In track cycling, Laurine Van Riessen rides on the wall of the velodrome to avoid crashing.
- Sagan and Cancellara again - This time Cancellara goes down and Sagan bunny hops over him.
- Sam Bennet makes a great save while weaving his way through the support cars.
- Danny Van Popell narrowly avoids disaster at the end of a race. They show video from a couple different angles and it doesn't look that impressive, until they show a still photo.
Friday, February 9, 2018
|Dude, where's my bike?|
Thursday, February 8, 2018
|Robin Williams joking with Lance Armstrong|
The video below shows some of his bikes, but for a complete listing you need to visit the Paddle 8 website. There you will see that he had some really nice bicycles of all makes and types. He also has some collectible bikes, like a Pea Picker Krate Stingray. There were also a few oddities in the collection, including a clown bike, a Schwinn unicycle and an electric scooter.
The auction was a big success, raising over $600,000. That was triple what experts expected from the auction. The money raised was donated to the Challenged Athlete Foundation and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation charities.
Monday, February 5, 2018
|Activity at one of last year's meetings|
Friday, February 2, 2018
|Quokka in front of bicycles (photo courtesy of Scott McCook)|
We all know the weather prediction rule - If the groundhog (or quokka) sees his shadow, it's another six weeks of lousy cycling weather. Let's hope for a cloudy day.