|Couldn't they just move the sign?|
Thursday, August 31, 2017
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
|The world's longest bicycle|
Holding a Guinness World Record is often a fleeting thing. In 2015, a group in Australia created a bicycle that was 5 inches longer. Here is a video of the Dutch long bike in action:
Tuesday, August 29, 2017
|Taking a break while cycling along Hadrian's Wall|
The route is 174 miles on bike trails and country roads. You can ride it either way, but most riders go from west to east. The majority finish the ride in three days, but four or five days is recommended if you want to stop and visit the sites along the route. The sections on both ends of the route are relatively flat, but in the middle there are some steep but short hills. The route is marked as National Route 72, and can be seen on this map.
Here's a short video about cycling along Hadrian's wall:
Monday, August 28, 2017
|Riding through Franklin on the 2016 Lion Pride Ride|
- 12 mile family ride
- 30 mile intermediate ride
- 62 mile pride ride
Circle City Bicycles has a personal connection to this ride. Phil Thorpe was an active member of the Franklin Lions club before he passed away in 2016. He was one of the key organizers of this ride. Phil also worked part time at Circle City Bicycles for a number of years.
Friday, August 25, 2017
|He must have been riding awfully fast|
Thursday, August 24, 2017
|Cyclist getting on train in Tokyo|
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Antwerp, Belgium
- Berlin, Germany
- Bordeaux, France
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Malmo, Sweden
- Strasbourg, France
- Tokyo, Japan
- Utrecht, Netherlands
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
|Hammacher-Schlemmer sold this in 1985|
- It wouldn't cut if the grass is wet.
- The gearing was just too low. If you spun the crank at 100 revolutions per minute in high gear, the forward speed is just a bit more than one mile per hour, so it would take a while to finish cutting your lawn.
- At a weight of 63 pounds, it took off on a downhill, and the single caliper brake didn't have adequate stopping power.
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
|Cycling along Lake Titicaca|
For information about cycling along Lake Titicaca, visit Andes by Bike. At first there doesn't seem to be much there. Click on the heading that says "Sketch Map" to see a diagram of the route. Click on "Google Map" and you can see that the route goes around the northern tip of the lake and along much of its eastern shore.
Here's a video that shows some of the sights in and around Lake Titicaca:
Monday, August 21, 2017
|Crossing the Wabash River|
- 34 miles
- 47 miles
- 65 miles
- 107 miles
Friday, August 18, 2017
|Do it yourself aero helmet|
This photo came from the blog Bikenarian - Inconsequential Ramblings of a Vet on His Bike.
Thursday, August 17, 2017
|Mark Cavendish (far left) going down after contact with Peter Sagan|
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
|4-Man bicycle featured in a 1948 issue of Life magazine|
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
|See the world best by bicycle|
- River Roaming, Czech Republic & Germany (Chapters Experience Holidays) - Starts with a day of sightseeing in Prague, then follows the Vlatava and Elbe Rivers to Dresden. They say along a river in Germany, you will always find a castle and a bike path.
- Winelands & Whales, South Africa (KF Adventure Travel) - An eight day exploration of South Africa's western cape. Highlights include vineyards, whale watching and penguins on Boulders Beach.
- Best of the British Isles (Wilderness Scotland) - A twelve day ride through five countries (Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland).
- Backroads of Burma (Intrepid Travel) - Here's a chance to spend two weeks in a country that was closed to outsiders until recently.
- Finland in Winter (Exodus Travels) - Here's one for you cold weather fans. Fat tire biking on frozen tundra, watching for elk and reindeer.
- Bikes and Barges in Provence,France (Saddle Skedaddle) - Eight days in France. Along with beautiful views of other sites, you will get to see (but won't have to climb) the dreaded Mount Ventoux you've seen in the Tour de France.
- Classic Cycling Tour of Nepal (Mountain Kingdoms) - Ten days of cycling with views of the Himalayas, plus a chance to see rhino, crocodiles and tigers in Chitwan National Park.
- Seville to Porto (Explore!) - An eight day ride from Seville in southern Spain to Porto in northern Portugal. Along the way you can see sites left by the Romans and Moors.
- Classic Wales (The Carter Company) - Most of the cycling is offroad. Highlights include Brecon Beacons National Park, St. David's Cathedral and a boat trip to Ramsey Island.
- Vietnam End to End (Freedom Treks) - Here's a challenging 17 day, 1,000 mile trip from Ho Chi Minh City in the south to Hanoi inn the north.
Monday, August 14, 2017
|Not many hills on the Sizzling Century (photo courtesy of The Ride So Far)|
Friday, August 11, 2017
Thursday, August 10, 2017
|Tegan Phillips with her new touring bike|
In 2014, Tom Allen of Tom's Bike Trip held a contest to give away his no budget touring bike and gear to whoever came up with the best plan for its next adventure. The winner was a South African college student named Tegan Phillips. Her video entry won the contest. Tegan's plan was to pick up the bike and ride from England through France and into Spain, where she could visit her sister. Since Tegan's trip, the bike (also known as "Charlie the Scrapyard Touring Bike," has passed through several more owners, and was last in seen in Hong Kong during late 2016. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Here's Tegan's bike winning video:
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
|Is this to ensure safe passing? (photo courtesy of Inhabitat)|
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
|Cycling through the French countryside|
- A visit to the historic area of Normandy, where the Allies first landed in France during World War II.
- Trips through French wine growing regions.
- Magnificent Medieval castles
- Battle sites of the Hundred Years War
- Ride on a 2,000 year old Roman bridge
- A loop around the French Atlantic island of Ile de Re.
Monday, August 7, 2017
|The Blue River Band will perform August 19 at Mallow Run Winery|
Mallow Run Winery is located in northwestern Johnson county, between Waverly and Bargersville. George Mallow settled the area in 1835 and built the barn which is now the tasting room. A nearby creek was named Mallow Run after him, which is the source of the winery's name. John Richardson grew up on this farm, then moved away to teach for 35 years. He came back after retiring, and planted his first grapes in 2000 on the 600 acre family farm. Today there are 8 acres of grapes, with the rest of the farm mostly planted in corn and soybeans. The tasting room opened in 2005.
Mallow Run has a picnic concert series with performances each Saturday from Memorial weekend through September. Some of the concerts are free while there is a charge for others. Blue River Band will be performing a free show on August 19.They are a local country band, and have twice won the 8 Seconds Saloon "Country Battle of the Bands." Below are a couple videos of their songs:
Friday, August 4, 2017
|Zoobomber in Action|
Here's a video of a zoobombing run:
Thursday, August 3, 2017
|The OttoLock is now available at Circle City Bicycles|
Wednesday, August 2, 2017
|The Aquaduct is a water purifier & transporter device|
The design is quite ingenious and won a prize in Google's 2007 "Innovate or Die" contest for a pedal-powered machine. Unfortunately, it looks like it never went into production. The latest post on their blog is dated 2008.
Here's a video about the Aquaduct:
Tuesday, August 1, 2017
|Low tide at Point Roberts|
It's probably not worth making a special trip to Point Roberts, but if you should ever be in downtown Vancouver British Columbia, you're only twenty miles from this little outpost of America. According to the blog Life in Magic Land, there is a 12 mile loop that you can do in Point Roberts. The route is scenic, with views of beaches, eagles, Mt. Baker, and Gulf Islands. Traffic is light, since there is obviously no through traffic. If you want to rent a bike in Port Roberts, stop in at Pedal Pushers.